Historical Highlights of St. Paul Lutheran
The early history of St. Paul Lutheran congregation dates back to the 1860. Among the settlers seeking a new home and future in the unsettled backwoods were a number of sturdy German families confessing the Lutheran faith. They hailed from Germany, especially Pommerania, and from congregations of the Missouri Synod in other parts of the state. These pioneer families, the Dahlke, Duescher, Prahl, Doell, Belter, Quade, Kortbein, Kratz, Mueller, Goetsch, Jahnke, Krohn, Gruetzmacher, Plautz, Treptow, Ihlenfelt, Karnopp, and whatever their family names may be, came to make their homes in the Town of Montpelier. Their children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren are still living here and are faithful members.
1865 St. Paul Congregation is officially organized by Rev. Bachmann, President; Julius Goetsch, Secretary; and Johann Dahlke, Fred Kortbein, and Christian Kohn, Trustees. There were about 17 members.
1868 St. Paul purchased 5 acres from Lazerus Ellis for $50 and a log church was erected. The Rev. Tobias Roesche was installed as the first resident pastor.
1874 Rev. Ernest P. Aulich was installed as pastor.
1884 Brick school building is built.
1888 Rev. Jacob Diehl is installed on March 4. Construction of current church begins. It is dedicated on August 4, 1889.
1892 Brick veneer parsonage is built.
1897 Tractor action pipe organ is installed.
1905 Rev. Gustav S. Mundinger is installed as pastor on July 23.
1907 A.J. Kiekhoefer is installed as the first teacher of St. Paul Lutheran School.
1912 A teacherage is constructed.
1912 Rev. Herman A. Handrich was installed as pastor on December 8.
1915 The current church altar, purchased in honor of the 50th Anniversary of St. Paul Congregation, is installed.
1925 Rev. Martin Hasz is installed as pastor on June 7.
1928 Electricity is installed in the church.
1929 Rev. Reinhardt F. W. Pautz is installed as pastor on April 28.
1932 Church is redecorated, partial basement is dug, and a new furnace is installed.
1942 Rev. John H. Nau was installed as pastor on September 6.
1951 A new school building is completed and dedicated to the west of our current church.
1958 Rev. Clarence A. Baumgartel is installed as pastor on February 2.
1959 The 75th Anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran School is commemorated.
1964 Church is redecorated and a new entrance (narthex) is added.
1965 The 100th Anniversary of St. Paul Congregation is commemorated with two special services. Rev. Victor Dahlke (a son of St. Paul) and Rev. Nau were guest preachers.
1972 Rev. Leslie A. Weerts is installed as pastor on October 8.
1973 A new parsonage was dedicated on February 25.
1981 Rev. Apolinario E. Batiansila is installed as pastor on December 20.
1984 100th Anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran School is commemorated with three special services. Rev. Camann (former principal of St. Paul), Rev. C. A. Baumgartel, and Rev. Weerts were guest preachers.
1987 Church is redecorated, addition of a new all-purpose room, two bathrooms, and ramp.
1989 100th Anniversary of St. Paul Church building dedication on August 13.
1990 125th Anniversary of St. Paul’s Congregation. Four special services were held. Rev. Allan Baumgartel (a son of St. Paul), Rev. Weerts, Rev. Steve Duescher (son of St. Paul), and Dr. Oswald Hoffman, Retired Lutheran Hour Speaker, were guest preachers.
2008 Groundbreaking ceremony is held on September 7 for the current school and fellowship hall. The building was dedicated on August 30, 2009.
2009 125th Anniversary of St. Paul School. A special service is held on April 11, 2010 with Rev. Steve Duescher as guest preacher.
2010 Rev. Daniel Grams is installed as pastor on September 5.
2014 Rev. Dr. Daniel Olson is installed as pastor on July 27. The 125th Anniversary of St. Paul Church building dedication on August 3 with Rev. Daniel Grams as guest preacher.
2015 150th Anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran Congregation. The anniversary theme is 150 Years Of God’s Grace To St. Paul.
If you found this interesting, historical books celebrating the 150th Anniversary of St. Paul are available for $15. These books can be mailed for an additional $5. The book consists of 167 pages of our church’s history and contains color photographs, and the births, deaths, marriages, and confirmations of St. Paul over the past 150 years. If you are interested, please contact Steve Doell at (920) 471-7580 or email@example.com.